Satisfying and delicious, this steak salad is jazzed up with grilled red onions, blue cheese and topped with grilled rustic croutons.
Grilling Time: 10 minutes
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Ontario Honey
- 4 tsp (20 mL) red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 375 g Ontario Strip Loin Steak
- 1 Ontario Red Onion, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 slices ciabatta or calabrese bread
- 4 cups (1 L) torn Ontario Romaine Lettuce
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Baby Arugula
- 1-1/2 cup (375 mL) Ontario Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) torn fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Blue or Cheddar Cheese
In liquid measure, stir together honey, vinegar, 2 tsp (10 mL) of the horseradish and mustard. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Season steak with salt and pepper; place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered, turning once, until medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Remove to cutting board; spread remaining horseradish on each side. Let rest 10 minutes. Brush onion with some of the vegetable oil; place in grill basket. Grill, covered, turning once, until tender, 10 minutes. Brush both sides of bread with remaining vegetable oil. Grill until golden, about 1 minute per side. Thinly slice steak across the grain; coarsely chop onion. Cut bread into croutons.
On platter, place romaine, arugula, tomatoes, basil and onion. Drizzle with half of the dressing and toss. Top with steak and drizzle remaining dressing; toss. Sprinkle with croutons and cheese.
Tip: If you like, toss tomatoes with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of vegetable oil. Place in grill basket; grill, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Protein: 28 grams
- Fat: 26 grams
- Carbohydrate: 21 grams
- Calories: 422
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 475 mg