O. Reg. 284/11: PROVISION OF FRENCH LANGUAGE SERVICES ON BEHALF OF GOVERNMENT AGENCIESSkip to content
French Language Services Act
Provision of French Language Services on behalf of Government Agencies
Consolidation Period: From April 1, 2023 to the e-Laws currency date.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. In this Regulation,
“third party” means a person or entity that has agreed with a government agency to provide a service on behalf of the agency. O. Reg. 284/11, s. 1.
Provision of services in French
2. (1) Every government agency shall ensure that a third party providing services to the public on its behalf does so in accordance with the provisions of the Act and the regulations made under the Act to which the government agency is itself subject. O. Reg. 545/22, s. 1.
(2) Despite subsection (1), if an agreement between a government agency and a third party is in force on the day Ontario Regulation 544/22 (Active Offer of Services in French — Prescribed Measures) made under the Act comes into force, the government agency is not required to ensure the third party’s compliance with the requirements of that Regulation until October 1, 2023. O. Reg. 545/22, s. 1.
3. (1) Every government agency that retains a third party to provide a service to the public on behalf of the agency shall, within 30 days after the agreement comes into force, file a report in accordance with subsection (2) setting out,
(a) the name of the agency and the name and contact information of a contact person in the agency for the purposes of the report;
(b) a statement whether the Act requires the agency to provide the service to the public in French;
(c) if the Act requires the agency to provide the service to the public in French, a description of the service provided and a statement whether the agency has complied with section 2. O. Reg. 284/11, s. 3 (1); O. Reg. 545/22, s. 2 (1).
(2) A government agency shall file the report with,
(a) the Minister of Francophone Affairs, if the agency is a ministry or if the agency is not a ministry and does not have a minister responsible for it; or
(b) the minister responsible for the agency, if the agency is not a ministry and has a minister responsible for it. O. Reg. 284/11, s. 3 (2); O. Reg. 545/22, s. 2 (2).
(3) A minister who receives a report of a government agency for which the minister is responsible shall promptly forward the report to the Minister of Francophone Affairs. O. Reg. 284/11, s. 3 (3); O. Reg. 545/22, s. 2 (2).
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 284/11, s. 4.