Change the address on your driver’s licence and health card
How to change the address on your health card, driver’s licence, and/or vehicle permit online.
Before you start, you need your complete new residential and/or mailing address.
When you update a driver’s licence or vehicle permit, you must also update the address on your health card.
You will need this information:
health card number and version code (if applicable)
- if you have a red and white health card: the postal code on record
- if you have a photo health card: the Canadian citizenship or immigration document (e.g. birth certificate, passport) number used when you applied for the card
Driver’s licence and vehicle permit
- driver’s licence number or registrant identification number
- issue date on your driver’s licence
Online completion time
4 to 6 weeks to receive updated documents.
Note: You will only receive a new health card if your old health card has an address on the back. If you are changing the address on your vehicle registration (ownership) you will need to visit a ServiceOntario centre to exchange your old registration for a new one that shows your new address. There is no charge for this service.
Recommended for you
This service is tested daily with McAfee SECURE™ to ensure the security of the transaction and information.
What you need to know
To change your address online you may require your citizenship document number. Your citizenship document could be one of the following documents:
- birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory
- Canadian passport
- valid permanent residence card
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Record of Landing
Check the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (list 1) for all possible citizenship documents.
By law, you need to update your driver’s licence and vehicle permit within 6 days of a change of address.
By law, you need to update the address for your Ontario health card within 30 days of a change of address.
How do I
- change the address on my Ontario Photo Card?
- change the address on my enhanced driver’s licence?
- change my address for other Ontario services?
Converting your red and white health card to a photo health card
Keep your address up to date on your health card or you may miss out on important information on health care.
To switch from a red and white health card to a photo health card, visit a ServiceOntario centre with the following:
- a completed health card re-registration form
- three original documents (Ontario Health Coverage Document List) (form 9998E-82); one to prove citizenship or immigration status, one to prove residency in Ontario, and one to prove identity
You can book an appointment to convert your health card at some ServiceOntario centres.