This easy dessert, between a custard and cake, is perfect for a quick company dessert. If you like, serve it with softly whipped cream.
- 3 large Ontario Apples, Ida Red or Spy
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) brandy or apple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) each Ontario Milk and Light Cream
- 3 Ontario Eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- Icing sugar
Peel apples, core and cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice crosswise and arrange attractively overlapping in rows in well-buttered 6-cup (1.5 L) shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the sugar. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 minutes; remove from oven. Pour brandy over apples; let cool.
In blender or food processor, blend milk, cream, eggs, flour, cinnamon and salt for 2 minutes. Add remaining sugar and vanilla; blend for a few seconds. Pour over apples and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until well puffed and golden (Clafouti will fall upon cooling). Serve barely warm sprinkled with icing sugar.
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 6.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31.0 grams
- Calories: 203