Pasta takes the place of a pizza crust in this great family-friendly casserole.
Baking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each dried basil and granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano and salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) cubed Ontario Pepperoni (about 350 g)
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) penne pasta
- 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) shredded Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
In large deep skillet, cook onion, garlic and red pepper in oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper flakes; bring to boil. Add pepperoni cubes; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and return to pot. Add sauce, stirring to coat.
Place mixture in 11- x 7-inch (2 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden.
Tip: This casserole can be assembled ahead of time and baked just before serving.
- Protein: 28.0 grams
- Fat: 24.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44.0 grams
- Calories: 513
- Fibre: 3.0 grams
- Sodium: 1710 mg