Break open the hot flaky puff pastry to find tender braised beef, potato and vegetables in a flavourful beer infused sauce.
Baking Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Stewing Beef, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Ontario Carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Ontario Potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 oz (125 g) Ontario Mushrooms, quartered (about 1-1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried thyme and dried rosemary leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) stout beer
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar
- Half (397 g) pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Ontario Egg, lightly beaten
In large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper; add beef and toss to coat.
In large deep pot or Dutch oven, heat 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; add beef and brown. Transfer to bowl.
Add remaining oil to pot and cook onion for 1 minute. Add carrots, potato, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and rosemary; reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
Add beer, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Return beef to pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat. Spoon 3/4 cup (175 mL) of beef mixture into six individual 1-cup (250 mL) ovenproof ramekin dishes. Allow stew to cool before adding pastry top.
On lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut out 6 circles 1/2-inch (1 cm) larger than the top of the ramekin dishes. Place pastry circles on top of each dish, pushing the excess pastry down inside the ramekin. Cut an x into the top of the crust. Brush pastry tops with beaten egg. Place ramekins on baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Prepare pies up to 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate cooked pies. Reheat in 325°F (160°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is hot.
- PROTEIN: 20 grams
- FAT: 24 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 33 grams
- CALORIES: 440
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 570 mg