Make your own granola bars full of carrots, apples and oats. Good for breakfast or lunch boxes, or anytime you need a high-energy treat. Instead of nuts, substitute dried cranberries, coconut, chocolate or butterscotch chips.
- 2 cups (500 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Ontario Carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Apple (skin on)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each roasted unsalted sunflower seeds and toasted chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each Ontario Honey and packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
Line a 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan with foil, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) overhang at each end; grease foil.
In large bowl, combine oats, flour, carrots, apple, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. In medium bowl, whisk egg, oil, honey, sugar and vanilla until blended. Pour over dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
Spoon mixture into prepared pan, press firmly into an even layer with a spatula. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and firm to the touch. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Using foil overhang as handles, remove from pan and transfer to cutting board. With large knife cut into bars. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Tips: Freeze wrapped bars in an air-tight container. Thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes or pack frozen into lunch box.
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrate: 14 grams
- Calories: 127
- Fibre: 1 gram
- Sodium: 60 mg