This sensational make-ahead treat will please strawberry and chocolate lovers of all ages.
Baking Time: 40 minutes, freezing Time: 4 hours
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking powder and salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
Filling and Topping:
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) strawberry jam
- 3 cups (750 mL) vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced fresh Ontario Strawberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
Line 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with foil, allowing 2-inch (5 cm) overhang on 2 sides of pan; grease the pan and foil.
In large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add oil, eggs, water and vanilla; mix well. Spoon batter into pan; smooth top. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan.
Loosen edges and using foil, lift brownies to counter. Cut horizontally in half. Slip flexible cutting board between halves to easily remove top. Set foil and bottom half back into the pan. Cut top half into 9 pieces. Set aside.
Filling and Topping: Spread bottom half of brownie with strawberry jam. Spoon ice cream over jam, making a smooth layer. Arrange top pieces over ice cream; press gently into place. Wrap and freeze until firm.
In medium bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; let sit for 15 minutes. To serve, cut into pieces and top with strawberries.
- PROTEIN: 5 grams
- FAT: 19 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 52 grams
- CALORIES: 392
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 195 mg