This hearty soup is easy to make and is a satisfying meal. Serve with thick slices of whole grain bread.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Ground Beef
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Ground Pork
- 1 Ontario Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked rice
- 1 Ontario Onion, minced
- 1 small clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Ontario Cabbage
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
In large bowl, mix together beef, pork, egg, rice, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Form into 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) balls to make 25 to 30 meatballs.
In Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat; brown meatballs all over. Add chicken broth, tomatoes (including juice) and cabbage. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.
When recipe serves 8:
- Protein: 16.0 grams
- Fat: 14.0 grams
- Carbohydrate: 23.0 grams
- Calories: 282