This classic stir-fry is perfect for celebrating Chinese New Year. Serve over rice or noodles.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless Ontario Chicken, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario Carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced Ontario Onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 large clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely minced gingerroot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) drained, canned sliced water chestnuts
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted roasted cashews
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy sauce (preferably naturally brewed)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil (optional)
In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove with slotted spoon; cover and keep warm.
Add remaining oil to pan. Add carrots and onions; cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add broth; cook for 3 minutes or until carrots are tender and broth has evaporated. Stir in cooked chicken and water chestnuts.
Sauce: In small bowl, whisk together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sesame oil, if using; pour over contents of skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in bean sprouts and green onions; cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle cashews over top.
- PROTEIN: 31 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 18 grams
- CALORIES: 340
- FIBRE: 3.5 grams