A medley of root vegetables creates a flavourful and creamy soup topped with Cheddar cheese and bacon.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Carrot
- 8 cups (2 L) chopped Ontario Cauliflower (about 1 head)
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Parsnip
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Potato
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) 5% light Ontario Cream or Ontario Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- Cooked crumbled Ontario Bacon
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in cauliflower, parsnip, potato, broth, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
In blender or food processor, purée soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in cream. Heat over medium heat just until steaming. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and bacon.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- PROTEIN: 10 grams
- FAT: 9 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 17 grams
- CALORIES: 180
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 615 mg