Ontario Cauliflower stars in this easy and satisfying meatless dish. Lightly spiced and topped with Cheddar cheese, this dish turns into a complete meal with the addition of crusty bread and a crisp salad.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Onions, chopped
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1 can (28 oz / 796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped Ontario Cauliflower
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) long-grain rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, cumin and turmeric; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, cauliflower, stock, lentils and rice; bring to full boil.
Transfer to 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish; cover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes or to desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cheese; bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Instead of cumin and turmeric, use 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder.
- Dish freezes and reheats well, so double the batch.
- Serve as meatless main dish or side dish; easy to take to potlucks, office lunches.
When recipe serves 6:
- Protein: 9.0 grams
- Fat: 7.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 34 grams
- Calories: 240