Comforting and delicious, this baked caulifl ower version will become your new favourite. Combining pasta and sauce while they are both hot guarantees a creamy mac and cheese.
Baking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) shredded Ontario Extra-Old or Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 3 slices cooked Ontario Bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) Ontario Milk, hot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and dried thyme leaves
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) Scoobi Doo pasta or elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (750 mL) small Ontario Caulifl ower Florets
In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the cheese, parsley and bacon. Set aside.
In medium deep saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and garlic; cook, whisking for 1 minute or until bubbling. Whisk in hot milk. Cook, whisking often, until mixture comes to boil and thickens, about 7 minutes. Whisk in mustard, salt and thyme. Remove from heat, gradually stir in remaining cheese until smooth. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 6 minutes. Add caulifl ower; cook for 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain well; stir into sauce. Spread into 12-cup (3 L) shallow casserole dish and sprinkle with reserved breadcrumb mixture. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until sauce is bubbling and topping is golden, about 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- PROTEIN: 24 grams
- FAT: 27 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 53 grams
- CALORIES: 555
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 840 mg