This dish combines chicken and tofu with a generous serving of vegetables, in a soy-sesame sauce. Serve over bowls of cooked rice or noodles.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 oz (250 g) boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breast, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firm Ontario Tofu, cut into small cubes (5 oz/150 g)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario Shiitake Mushrooms, caps only (6 oz/175 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) each Ontario Sweet Red and Yellow Pepper strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) small Ontario Broccoli Florets
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shelled fresh or frozen Ontario Edamame
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce (preferably naturally brewed)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each cornstarch and hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sliced Ontario Green Onion
In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken and tofu for 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; transfer to bowl.
Add remaining oil to skillet. Stir in mushrooms, peppers, ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, edamame and broth. Cover and cook for 4 minutes or until broccoli is tender-crisp.
Meanwhile, in liquid measuring cup, whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, hoisin sauce and sesame oil; stir into skillet. Stir in chicken and tofu and any accumulated juices; stir-fry until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with green onion. Serve over rice.
- PROTEIN: 28 grams
- FAT: 13 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 22 grams
- CALORIES: 310
- FIBRE: 5 grams
- SODIUM: 1595 mg