Even big kids like messy food once in awhile -- just provide lots of napkins. Flatten the meatballs slightly so they sit on the buns without rolling off.
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Ontario Beef
- 1 small Ontario Onion, diced
- 1 small Ontario Carrot, grated
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) stewed or chunky tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) smoky barbecue sauce (such as chipotle)
- 4 whole-wheat sausage, hot dog or small submarine buns (about 6 inches/15 cm)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Ontario Cheddar or Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
In bowl, combine beef, onion, carrot, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Divide evenly into 12 portions; roll into meatballs. Flatten balls slightly.
Heat large skillet over medium heat; cook meatballs until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
In bowl, combine tomatoes and barbecue sauce, crushing tomatoes slightly with fork for smoother sauce; add to meatballs. Bring to boil stirring gently; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often and turning meatballs until thermometer inserted into several meatballs registers 160°F (71°C), 6 to 8 minutes. Remove meatballs to plate. Bring sauce to boil to reduce and thicken, about 2 minutes.
Split and toast buns. Place 3 meatballs on each bun. Spoon sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese.
- PROTEIN: 33 grams
- FAT: 16 grams
- CARBOHYDRATES: 39 grams
- FIBRE: 4 grams
- CALORIES: 430