Edible bowls made from flour tortillas are easily prepared ahead. Then, when you have the barbecue on, grill a steak, cut it into strips and combine with corn, tomato, onion and green pepper as a filling for the tortilla bowls.
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless Ontario Sirloin Steak
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 4 8-inch (20 cm) flour tortillas
- 4 cobs Ontario Sweet Corn, cooked
- 1 Ontario Onion, cut into thin wedges
- Half medium sweet Ontario Green Pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium Ontario Field Tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each chopped fresh coriander and green onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Ontario Lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded old Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Ontario Sour Cream
Marinate steak in refrigerator in Italian dressing and chili powder for several hours.
To prepare tortilla bowls:
Place 2 tortillas with waxed paper between each; microwave on High 15 sec. to soften. Repeat with other 2. Place each tortilla over inverted 4 in. (10 cm) bowl. Elevate bowls on microwave rack; microwave 2 on High 1 min. Rotate and microwave on High 1 min. or until crisp. Repeat with other 2. Remove from bowls and cool on rack. Store in tightly sealed container until ready to use.
Drain and reserve marinade from steak. Barbecue or broil until medium-rare. Cut into thin strips and reserve.
With sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cobs to make 2 cups (500 mL).
Cook onion and green pepper in reserved dressing in skillet 5 min. or until tender. Add corn and steak strips; keep warm.
Combine tomatoes, coriander and green onion.
Divide lettuce among bowls; fill with steak mixture. Top with tomato mixture. Garnish with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
Note: Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.
- Protein: 39.0 grams
- Fat: 21.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39.0 grams
- Calories: 501