This has all the creaminess of the classic Alfredo pasta dish but with a new twist! Strips of lightly cooked cabbage replace the pasta in a cheese and garlic sauce with strips of ham, all topped with golden bread crumbs. It is a terrific make-ahead meal that is quickly warmed in the oven or microwave.
- 8 cups (2 L) sliced Ontario Cabbage, about 3/8 inch (1 cm) wide
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium Ontario Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 lb (375 g) cooked ham, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter, melted
In saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook cabbage for 5 minutes; drain and immediately cover with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
In large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion until golden. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Stir in milk and chicken stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese until blended. Stir in ham and cooked cabbage, tossing to coat. Pour into oiled 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish or 12-cup (3 L) casserole. Blend together bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate or bake, uncovered, in 325ºF (160ºC) oven for 20 minutes. (Or microwave on Medium-High/70% power for 10 to 12 minutes.)
Note: Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 20.5 grams
- Fat: 14.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.0 grams
- Calories: 264