This is the perfect use for the chicken left over from Sunday’s dinner or that barbecued one you picked up. The strawberries come through as a refreshing accent in the salad. Since curry powders differ in strength and heat, taste after adding half the amount to get just a hint of curry.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-fat sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime rind
- 1 tbsp (15 L) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Liquid Honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder or paste (approx)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) diced cooked Ontario Chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Celery
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced Ontario Green Onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecan halves, toasted
- Ontario Lettuce leaves
In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lime rind, lime juice, honey, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
In large bowl, stir together chicken, celery and onions; pour dressing over top and toss lightly to mix. (The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.)
Just before serving, gently stir in strawberries and 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the pecans. Line large serving platter or individual plates with lettuce leaves; mound salad in centre. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
Hint: If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled or poached, will give you the amount you need.
- PROTEIN: 33 grams
- FAT: 25 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 18 grams
- CALORIES: 432
- FIBRE: 3 grams