This eggplant, tomato and mint relish is a great way to add variety to your antipasto platter. The eggplant lends a velvety, rich texture, which is balanced perfectly by the sweet tomatoes and mint. It’s also delicious tossed with your favourite pasta.
Makes : 5 cups
- 1 Ontario Eggplant (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) seeded, diced Ontario Roma Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Red Onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh Ontario Mint Leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) capers, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch (1 cm) rounds. Bring large pot of water to boil. Place eggplant rounds in boiling water, return to boil and cook until tender, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain, cool and dice eggplant.
In large skillet, over medium heat, combine oil, red pepper flakes and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add eggplant, salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Transfer eggplant to medium bowl; let cool completely. Add sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes, onion, mint, oil, pine nuts, capers, lemon rind and juice; stir well to combine. Store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use.
1 Serving (1 tbsp/15 mL):
- PROTEIN: 0 grams
- FAT: 1 gram
- CARBOHYDRATE: 1 gram
- CALORIES: 15
- FIBRE: 0 grams
- SODIUM: 30 mg