Enjoy the bounty of fresh Ontario produce in this colourful coleslaw dressed in Mexican flavours – a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. For a spicy, smoky flavour, add 2 tsp (10 mL) minced chipotle in adobo sauce to the dressing.
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin and salt
- 2 corn or whole wheat tortillas (small)
- Chili powder
- 5 cups (1.25 L) shredded Ontario Green Cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked Ontario Corn kernels
- 1 Ontario Field Tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 Ontario Carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each sliced Ontario Red Onion and Ontario Radishes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander
- Ontario Leaf, Boston or Bibb Lettuce leaves
In small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lime juice, cumin and salt.
Lightly brush one side of tortillas with water; sprinkle with chili powder to taste. Cut into thin strips and place on paper towel-lined microwaveable plate. Microwave on High for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until crisp.
In large bowl, combine cabbage, corn, tomato, carrot, onion, radishes, and coriander; toss with dressing. Line serving platter with lettuce leaves. Top with slaw; garnish with chili tortilla strips.
Tip: You will need about one-third of a green cabbage to make 5 cups (1.25 L) shredded.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- PROTEIN: 2 grams
- FAT: 4 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 15 grams
- CALORIES: 96
- SOURCE OF FIBRE