This is a scrumptious hot appetizer or a sophisticated accompaniment to any meal. Make velvety smooth mashed potatoes with a potato ricer, available at any housewares store.
- 1 head Ontario Garlic, top sliced off
- 6 Ontario Tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar (optional)
- 4 Ontario Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) 18% Ontario Cream or Ontario Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Chives
- 300 g Ontario Chèvre Cheese, sliced into 8 rounds
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Coarse salt
- Chopped fresh Ontario chives
Arrange garlic and tomatoes on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until softened and browned; let cool.
Reserve 8 tomato slices. Slip skins off remaining tomatoes; chop tomatoes. In saucepan over medium heat, combine chopped tomatoes, roasted garlic, chicken broth, lemon juice, basil, balsamic vinegar, sugar (if using), and salt and pepper to taste; simmer and mash to combine.
Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until tender; drain and mash. Add butter, cream, parsley, chives, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
Paper-line 8 muffin tins. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) mashed potato mixture to each (you may have leftovers). Place chèvre round on top of each; top with reserved slice of roasted tomato. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 8 to10 minutes or until chèvre begins to melt. Spoon 3 tbsp (45 mL), or more if desired, hot tomato sauce onto centre of each plate. Remove parchment paper and place tower in centre of sauce. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper, coarse salt and chopped fresh chives. Serve immediately.
- PROTEIN: 9 grams
- FAT: 25 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 25 grams
- CALORIES: 359
- SOURCE OF FIBRE