Sometimes purchased jerk seasoning or marinades (native to Jamaica) can be quite spicy. This recipe allows you to control the spiciness to your taste with the amount of cayenne pepper. Prepare extra spice rub to use on poultry or meat before grilling.
Broiling Time: 6 minutes
- 2 Ontario Rainbow Trout Fillets (about 12 oz/375 g each), halved
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 small Ontario Apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Ontario Carrot
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Liquid Honey
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt, pepper and cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground allspice, pepper, dried thyme leaves and packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Apple-Carrot Relish: In medium bowl, toss apple with lime juice to coat. Add carrot, honey, parsley, ginger, salt, pepper and cinnamon; mix well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Spice Rub: In small bowl, combine allspice, pepper, thyme, sugar, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
Place trout pieces, skin side down, in single layer on lightly oiled baking pan. Combine spice rub, oil and garlic; spread evenly over top of fillets. Broil for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Serve with relish.
- PROTEIN: 35 grams
- FAT: 16 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 16 grams
- CALORIES: 354
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- SODIUM: 511 mg