A shawarma is often called a Middle East taco. For an appetizer version, use filling in mini pitas with a fresh tomato salsa.
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) bone-in Ontario Lamb Leg Chops
- 2 Ontario Onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) reduced fat mayonnaise
- Pita bread or rice
- Ontario Greenhouse Lettuce, shredded
- Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped
- Hot sauce (optional)
Trim, remove bones and thinly slice lamb; place in bowl along with onions. Combine oil, 1 clove of the garlic, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the lemon juice, cumin, oregano and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt; toss with lamb and onion. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in blender, combine tahini, 1/3 cup (75 mL) water, and remaining garlic and lemon juice; blend until smooth. Add mayonnaise and remaining salt; blend until creamy.
Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat until very hot. Add lamb mixture to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until lamb is browned and onion caramelized.
Serve over rice or pita breads with prepared sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce, if desired.
Lamb with tahini sauce:
- Protein: 24 grams
- Fat: 32 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Calories: 436
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 670 mg