Standing Time: 1 hour; Baking Time: 6 to 7 hours
- 1 lb (500 g) dry white pea beans (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chili sauce
- 1 small Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water
Place beans in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain.
In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, chili sauce, chopped onion, salt and mustard. Place half the beans in 2-quart (2 L) casserole, top with diced bacon, then remaining beans. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the beans. Cover and bake at 300 F (150 C) for 6 to 7 hours, adding more water as needed to keep beans moist.