This classic Italian-style veal is tender and tasty, made with a generous serving of mushrooms and Marsala wine.
- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) Ontario Veal Scaloppini
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) sliced Ontario Crimini Mushrooms (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario Shiitake Mushrooms, caps only (about 6 oz/175 g)
- 1 large clove Ontario Garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) fresh Ontario Thyme Leaves (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL dried)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sweet Marsala wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario
Season veal with salt and pepper. Coat with flour; shaking off excess. Set aside.
In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring, until soft. Remove mushrooms to plate. Add remaining oil and butter to skillet. Add veal, in batches, cook for about 1-1/2 minutes per side or until done. Transfer to plate.
Add wine to skillet and cook for 1 minute, scraping up any bits from the bottom. Stir in broth; cook for 3 minutes until sauce thickens. Return veal and any accumulated juices to skillet, coat with sauce on both sides. Add reserved mushrooms; cover and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrients per serving
- PROTEIN: 26 grams
- FAT: 14 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 14 grams
- CALORIES: 315
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- SODIUM: 230 mg