Sweet apples and earthy beets make a good match, as in this easy salad.
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Beets (about 3)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- Pinch granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Ontario Apples, unpeeled, cut into wedges
- Ontario Mixed Salad Greens
- Ontario Dill Sprigs
In saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, cook beets for about 15 minutes or until tender. Plunge in cold water, slip off skins and slice into wedges.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, dill, mustard, garlic and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add beets and apples, toss gently.
Line a large serving plate or 4 individual salad plates with greens. Top with beet and apple mixture; garnish with dill sprigs.
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Carbohydrate: 20 grams
- Calories: 240
- Fibre: 4 grams
- Sodium: 210 mg