This version of a classic pasta recipe uses just the right amount of water that magically cooks down to create a silky sauce (no draining necessary!). Cooked chicken can also be added to this vegetable dish.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 cups (1 L) fusilli pasta (375 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces Ontario Asparagus
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Grape or Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Green Peas fresh or frozen, thawed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded plain or jalapeño Ontario Havarti Cheese (about 75 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped Ontario Basil Leaves
Garnish: shredded Ontario Havarti Cheese
Place pasta in large deep pot. Add garlic, salt, pepper and 3-1/2 cups (875 mL) hot tap water. Cover; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Uncover; set timer according to cooking directions on pasta package. Cook pasta stirring often.
When 5 minutes remain, stir in asparagus and red pepper. Cover, return to boil; continue cooking, stirring occasionally (if necessary, add another 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot water).
When 2 minutes remain on timer, stir in tomatoes, peas and butter; cover, cook 2 minutes. Uncover, cook, stirring, until pasta and vegetables are tender and water is almost completely evaporated, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat; stir in cheese and basil; mix well. Serve immediately with additional cheese.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 14 grams
- FAT: 12 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 56 grams
- CALORIES: 382
- FIBRE: 6 grams
- SODIUM: 540 mg