Here's a great recipe made from naturally sweet Ontario Eating Apples such as Empire, McIntosh, Golden Delicious Idared or others.
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) flour, preferably whole wheat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter or margarine, melted or soft
- 5 Ontario Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
In a bowl, combine oats, flour, 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the brown sugar, half the cinnamon and the salt. Stir in half the apple juice and all the butter. Set aside.
In a greased 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish, combine apples, lemon juice, remaining apple juice, remaining brown sugar and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle oatmeal mixture evenly over apples. Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven until apples are tender and topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37 grams
- Calories: 191
- Source of fibre