Use hot or mild salsa for the preferred "heat" level when dressing this main-course salad. Serve it hot, cold or at room temperature for busy-night family dinners or as part of a buffet meal. Brown-bag any leftovers for office or school lunches.
- 6 oz (175 g) dried penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless skinless Ontario Chicken, cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 large Ontario Portobello Mushroom cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each olive oil and red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
In large saucepan with at least 12 cups (3 L) of boiling salted water, cook penne for 5 minutes. Add garlic, asparagus, chicken and mushroom; return to slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked and penne and asparagus are just tender. Drain. Add oil and vinegar; toss well to coat. Add salsa and parsley; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Protein: 33.0 grams
- Fat: 9.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40.0 grams
- Calories: 373