Tender Ontario asparagus is a fresh-tasting, colourful component in this satisfying, comforting family meal
- 12 oz (350 g) Bratwurst or Country-Style sausage
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 red-skin potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g) cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 small Ontario Onion, cut in thin wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each light mayonnaise and sweet Russian-style mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
With tip of knife, pierce sausage skin all over. Simmer in 1/2-inch (1 cm) of water in covered skillet for 10 minutes, turning once. Drain off water and add half the vegetable oil to skillet. Cook sausage, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until nicely browned, turning often.
Cook potatoes in simmering, salted water for 10 minutes. Add asparagus and onion: simmer for 5 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, in salad bowl, combine remaining oil, mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar.
Drain vegetables; add to dressing in bowl; Cut warm sausage into thin slices and add to salad; toss lightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 17.0 grams
- Fat: 30.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26.0 grams
- Calories: 442