Crunchy amaretti biscuits compliment the fruit flavour in these fresh peach cheesecake squares.
- 1 pkg (200 g) almond amaretti biscuits
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, melted
- 2 pkg (each 8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) peach or apricot jam (without pieces)
- 2 medium Ontario Peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange juice or water (optional)
In food processor, process biscuits to make about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) fine crumbs. In small bowl, stir crumbs with butter until well blended. Firmly press into bottom of 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan. Refrigerate while preparing topping.
In large bowl, use electric mixer to beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice, almond extract and vanilla. Pour over crust. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until set and golden brown around edges, 35 to 45 min. Run knife around edge of cake. Refrigerate at least 2 hr. before cutting into 16 squares.
In small saucepan, melt jam over low heat. Slice peaches into wedges, placing about 2 on each square (cut to fit, if necessary). Brush peaches completely with melted jam. If jam is too thick for brushing, add orange juice.