Fresh pears and cranberries with crunchy walnuts make up the delicious, slightly tart filling for our fall-time fruit squares. The base and topping is similar to date squares but have a touch of ginger for pizzazz.
Baking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced peeled Ontario Pears
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh or frozen Ontario Cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each finely grated lemon rind and fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped walnuts
In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) of the crumbs into lightly greased 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan. Reserve remaining crumbs for top.
Filling: In medium saucepan, combine pears, cranberries, sugar, lemon rind and juice. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer until pears are tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Stir in walnuts.
Spread filling over base. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes until brown at edges and golden brown in centre. Let cool; cut into squares.
- PROTEIN: 5 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 35 grams
- CALORIES: 375
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 190 mg