This recipe is a twist on the classic French tart. Pears and almonds in a cream cheese pastry create a luxurious and velvety texture. Top with goat cheese and a drizzle of honey.
Baking Time: 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each cream cheese and butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced (1/4-inch/5 mm) peeled Ontario Pears (about 3)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon rind
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled Ontario Goat Cheese (Chèvre)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted sliced almonds
In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until well blended. Gradually beat in flour. Shape into ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chilled.
On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 14-inch (35 cm) wide circle. Fit into 10-inch (25 cm) tart pan with removable bottom. Trim to fit pan.
Line pastry with foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove weights and foil. Set crust aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
In large bowl, toss together pears, lemon rind and juice. Sprinkle with cornstarch, ginger and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the honey. Toss until pears are evenly coated.
Overlapping slightly, arrange pear slices in concentric circles over crust. Spoon any remaining honey mixture over the slices. Top with cheese and almonds. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove from oven; drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp (25 mL) of honey.
Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving
- PROTEIN: 6 grams
- FAT: 20 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 38 grams
- CALORIES: 348
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 160 mg