For a fun twist on supper or as an appetizer for a family birthday or celebration, this pizza-flavoured fondue is sure to be a hit. Let the fun begin.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 small Ontario Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried basil and oregano
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded part-skim Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 cups (1 L) assorted Ontario Vegetables (mushrooms, greenhouse sweet peppers)
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) cooked meatballs or bite-size pieces of Ontario Chicken, Ham or Beef
- 12 multigrain breadsticks
In deep saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in basil and oregano; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes; increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Reduce heat to low. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese at a time to saucepan, stirring constantly and adding next handful when cheese is melted.
Dippers: Place saucepan on heat-proof trivet on table or, if desired, transfer to fondue pot over flame to keep warm. Serve with vegetables, meatballs and breadsticks for dipping, using fondue forks if desired.
Tips: Cooked wedges of Ontario Sweet Potato or Potatoes make for tasty dippers. Kids can grate the cheese on a box grater and wash the vegetables.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6; analysis for sauce only):
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrate: 12 grams
- Calories: 172
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 320 mg