Ontario plums give this soup its vibrant colour and flavour. It may be served hot or cold with a dollop of yogurt for a perfect starter to a meal featuring roast pork or chicken.
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) Ontario Purple Plums (about 8)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece (2-inch/5 cm) lemon rind
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) corn starch
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dark rum (optional)
- Ontario Sour Cream
In large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine plums, 1 cup (250 mL) water, wine, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and cinnamon stick; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until plums are very tender, about 10 minutes.
Whisk 1/2 cup (125 mL) water with cornstarch until smooth; pour into soup and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour soup through coarse sieve, pressing plums through sieve but leaving behind solids. Discard solids. To serve hot, stir in rum (if using) and serve. To serve cold, cover and cool soup; stir in rum (if using). Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
1 Serving (1 cup/250 mL):
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: trace
- Carbohydrates: 39 grams
- Calories: 175