A vegetarian burger packed with goodness and lots of flavour is sure to satisfy all dinner guests.
Baking Time: 25 minutes, Grilling Time: 12 minutes, Chilling Time: 1 hour
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Ontario Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced Ontario Garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 Ontario Portabella Mushroom Caps
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked barley
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Ontario Kale
- 6 whole wheat buns
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) onion dip
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Goat Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) Ontario Radish or Alfalfa Sprouts
In medium bowl, combine maple syrup, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss mushroom caps in marinade. Place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Coarsely chop mushrooms. In food processor, combine mushrooms, eggs, thyme, breadcrumbs, flour and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the barley. Pulse to combine. Texture should remain chunky. In medium bowl, combine mushroom mixture with remaining barley and kale. Shape into 6 burgers. Chill covered in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
Place burgers on greased grill over medium heat. Grill, covered, for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each burger reads 165°F (74°C).
Toast burger buns on grill. Spread each bun bottom with onion dip. Top with burger, cheese, sprouts and bun top.
- PROTEIN: 18 grams
- FAT: 12 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 70 grams
- CALORIES: 455
- FIBRE: 7 grams
- SODIUM: 950 mg