Cook up some fresh pumpkin to provide great flavour for these cookies. If you wish, have fun with the kids and decorate cookies for Halloween.
Baking Time: 10 to 12 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of baking soda and baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) molasses
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) puréed Ontario Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each of raisins and chopped nuts
- Half pkg (250 g pkg) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cup (300 mL) icing sugar
- Orange food colouring (optional)
In bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In large mixer bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, molasses and egg until light and fluffy. Blend in pumpkin. Beat in flour mixture just until combined. Stir in raisins and nuts.
Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto lightly greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly browned. Transfer to racks to let cool.
In bowl, beat cream cheese with icing sugar until smooth. Colour with food colouring if desired. Spread over tops of cookies. Store cookies in covered container in refrigerator (place waxed paper between layers).
Tips: For Halloween, decorate frosted cookies with nuts, raisins, candies and pretzel sticks to make spiders, spider webs and pumpkin faces.
To prepare pumpkin purée, cut in half, remove seeds and fibre from centre and peel. Cut flesh into 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) chunks. Place in 8-cup (2 L) microwaveable casserole; cover and microwave on HIGH, stirring several times, for 15 to 18 minutes or until tender. Let cool. Purée in food processor until smooth; drain any excess liquid. Measure out 1 cup (250 mL) for recipe. Refrigerate or freeze remainder.
- Protein: 1 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Calories: 92