Quinoa, native to South America, is combined with Ontario grilled vegetables in this easy- to- prepare salad bursting with refreshing flavour. This vegetarian salad is a great option for brunch and outdoor celebrations, as a main dish salad or as a side salad to accompany grilled meat, chicken or fish.
Grilling Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Orange Pepper, quartered
- 1 large Ontario Onion, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
In medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups (500 mL) water to boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork, remove from heat; let stand covered for 5 minutes. Place in serving bowl; let cool.
Meanwhile, brush asparagus, orange pepper and onion with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered, turning occasionally, until tender-crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to cutting board as they are done. Let cool slightly and cut into bite-size pieces; stir into quinoa along with chickpeas and parsley.
In small bowl, whisk together remaining oil, orange rind and juice, honey, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- PROTEIN: 9 grams
- FAT: 6 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 35 grams
- CALORIES: 226
- FIBRE: 5 grams
- SODIUM: 140 mg