A touch of apricot jam makes an interesting sweet accent to the tanginess of the rhubarb. For other variations, try strawberry, cherry or blueberry jam. Drizzle with Devon custard for a smooth, creamy finish.
Cooing time: 45 to 50 minutes
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped (1/2-inch/1 cm pieces) Ontario Greenhouse Rhubarb
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) apricot jam
- 3 Ontario eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% Ontario milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 5 cups (1.25 L) cubed day-old French or Italian bread (3/4-inch/2 cm cubes)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) Devon custard, optional
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) 2% Ontario milk
In bowl, mix together rhubarb and jam; set aside. In large bowl, whisk eggs with sugar; whisk in milk and vanilla. Stir in bread cubes. Stir in rhubarb mixture. Pour into lightly greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan. Sprinkle with almonds.
Place pan in slightly larger pan; pour boiling water into large pan to come two-thirds up side of smaller pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden on top.
Topping: In small bowl, stir together custard and milk. Drizzle about 3 tbsp (45 mL) over each serving. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Bread cubes should be slightly dried out. Lay out in single layer on baking sheet to dry slightly.
- Protein: 7.0 grams
- Fat: 6.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 53.0 grams
- Calories: 284