Roasting brings out the unique flavour of each mushroom variety. Use a combination of Ontario mushrooms - King Oyster, shiitake (remove tough stems) and cremini. Serve as an impressive appetizer, first course or side dish.
Baking Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme (or 1-1/2 tsp/7 mL fresh)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and coarse ground black pepper
- 12 oz (375 g) mixed whole Ontario Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Shallots
- Half pkg (375 g) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Brie Cheese or Paneer
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley or Cilantro
In medium bowl, stir together oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Add mushrooms and shallots; toss to coat. Place in single layer on parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms soften. Let cool and slice mushrooms.
Meanwhile, on lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 10-x 12-inch (25 x 30 cm) rectangle. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Fold dough edges over 1/2-inch (1 cm) and crimp with fork. Prick dough inside border every 1/2-inch (1 cm). Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Gently flattening baked pastry if necessary, top with mushroom mixture, leaving any liquid behind. Scatter Brie on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Cut into pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips: For easy dicing, freeze Brie for 15 minutes or until firm. Ontario Blue or soft Goat cheese would be a delicious alternative. If made ahead, crisp in oven or toaster oven prior to serving.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- Protein: 5 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrate: 14 grams
- Calories: 166
- Fibre: 1 gram
- Sodium: 220 mg