Although the cooking and cooling time may seem long, this soup is a cinch to make. Roasting intensifies the sweet pepper and tomato flavours and creates a wonderful aroma during cooking. It's delicious served hot, at room temperature or even chilled
Cooling Time: 30 minutes
- 3 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Peppers, quartered
- 3 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 5 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large Ontario Onion, cut in thick wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, dried thyme, rosemary and basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Sour cream and fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
Place peppers and tomatoes, cut side up, on large foil-lined baking sheet; add garlic and onion. In small bowl, combine oil, salt, thyme, rosemary, basil and pepper; brush over vegetables. Roast on bottom rack of 450°F (230°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and slightly charred. Let cool for 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Slip skins off peppers and tomatoes.
In blender or food processor, in batches, purée vegetables with any juices and some of the broth until smooth.
Transfer to large saucepan; add vinegar and any remaining broth. Serve at room temperature or heat until hot. Garnish each serving with swirl of sour cream and basil leaves.
This soup is delicious served hot, at room temperature or chilled.
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrate: 13 grams
- Calories: 109
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 650 mg