Brining a duck, then roasting on a rotisserie delivers succulent meat that shreds into a delicious filling for tacos.
Chilling Time: 1 hour, Brining Time: 24 hours, Grilling Time: 3 hours
- 16 cups (4 L) cold water
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Apple Cider
- 1 cup (250 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Honey
- 4 sprigs fresh Ontario Thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole black peppercorns
- 2 sticks cinnamon, broken into pieces
- 5 lb (2.5 kg) Ontario Duck
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dehydrated minced onion
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) kosher salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Ontario Red Cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) julienned Ontario Celery Root
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) apple cider vinegar
Brine: In large clean bucket, place add cold water. In large pot, bring apple cider to rolling boil. Add sea salt and honey and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat; pour mixture into cold water. Add thyme, black peppercorns and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
Rinse duck under cold running water; add to chilled brine, making sure it is completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Spice Rub: In small bowl combine; pumpkin pie spice, dehydrated minced onion, pepper, kosher salt and sugar; set aside.
Prepare rotisserie on barbecue per manufacturer’s instructions. Rub duck inside and out with all of the spice rub. Secure and balance duck to rotisserie rod. Cook at 400°F (200°C) until duck is evenly browned, and a thermometer inserted sideways into thickest part of thigh reaches 185ºF (85ºC), 2 to 3 hours. Adjust temperature as needed and brush duck occasionally with melted duck fat.
Remove duck to cutting board, loosely cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin; shred meat.
Slaw: In large bowl, add cabbage, celery root, green onions, coriander and vinegar; toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve shredded duck on warm tortilla shells with slaw.
1 Serving (2 Tacos):
- PROTEIN: 38 grams
- FAT: 8 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 47 grams
- CALORIES: 405
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 2150 mg