This tasty recipe is a perfect addition to your meal, whether you serve it with roast beef, chicken, ham or fish. Carrots, apple and honey add a special sweetness in this terrific vegetable dish that can be made ahead of time and reheated.
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 Ontario Rutabaga (about 2 lb /1 kg)
- 4 Ontario Carrots
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken broth
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 Ontario Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Honey or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground nutmeg and black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
Peel and cut rutabaga and carrots into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces. Place in medium saucepan along with stock, onion, apple, honey, salt, nutmeg and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally. Add butter and mash with potato masher or process in food processor until puréed.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
PROTEIN: 2 grams
FAT: 5 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 21 grams