This mildly exotic potato salad pairs beautifully with any kind of grilled meat or fish. If you like, just before serving stir in chopped fresh Ontario coriander.
- 2 lb (1 kg) small Ontario Potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half or quarters if large
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh Ontario Peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) julienned Ontario Carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Red Onion
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mild Indian curry paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 large clove Ontario Garlic, pressed
In large pot of simmering, salted water, cook potatoes until fork tender, about 13 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 tbsp (15 mL) of cooking water. Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, cook peas in boiling water until tender,
about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again; add to potatoes, along with carrots and onion.
In small bowl, whisk together curry paste, vinegar, oil, reserved cooking water, honey, ginger, salt, cayenne pepper (if using) and garlic. Pour half of the dressing over the hot potato mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing. Refrigerate salad uncovered, until cooled, about 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
To serve, pour remaining dressing over potatoes and toss.
Try a combination of yellow-fleshed, red and white small potatoes.Season to taste with pepper.
Nutrients per serving
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- Calories: 150
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrate: 26 grams
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 278 mg