A crusty country-style bread works well, leave the crusts on. To dry bread, place wire rack on large baking sheet; lay slices on top. Bake in 200°F (100°C) oven, turning once, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Chilling Time: 4 hours or overnight, Baking Time: 1hour
- 6 cups (1.5 L) dry bread cubes (1-inch/2.5 cm)
- 3 slices Ontario Bacon, diced
- 2 Ontario Leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario White Button Mushrooms
- 3 Ontario Eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, dried thyme and sage leaves
- Pinch pepper
- Fresh Ontario Sage Leaves
Place bread cubes in large bowl; set aside. In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until partially cooked. With slotted spoon, add bacon to bread cubes. Reduce heat to medium, add leeks and mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add to bread cubes.
In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, broth, salt, thyme, sage and pepper; pour over bread mixture and gently mix. Spoon into greased 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish. Press bread mixture below liquid to saturate bread. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Uncover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage leaves.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
- PROTEIN: 7 grams
- FAT: 7 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 18 grams
- CALORIES: 164
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- SODIUM: 640 mg