Cardamom is a popular spice used in Scandinavian baking and is a delicate enhancement to the flavour of the apples.
Baking Time: 50 to 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) 2% milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped, peeled Ontario Apples (such as Empire, Golden Delicious, Royal Gala, Jona Gold or Idared)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped walnuts or pecans
- Icing sugar (optional)
In large bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cardamom, salt and cinnamon; beat slowly into butter mixture, alternately with milk, until well combined. Stir in apples and walnuts.
Spread in 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack. To serve, cut into squares. If desired, serve with a little icing sugar dusted on top using small sieve.
- PROTEIN: 6 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 60 grams
- CALORIES: 412
- SOURCE OF FIBRE