Corned beef brisket, slow-cooked with potatoes, carrots and cabbage, makes a hearty and satisfying dinner. Serve with grainy mustard on the side, if you like.
Slow-Cooker Time: Low 8 hours and High 1 hour
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) Ontario Corned Beef Brisket
- 2 lb (1 kg) mini Ontario Red Potatoes, cut in half if large
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Carrots, cut in large pieces
- 4 large cloves Ontario Garlic, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Ontario Onion, quartered through root
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pickling spice
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced beef broth
- Half Ontario Savoy Cabbage, core intact and cut into 8 wedges
In 6 quart (6 L) slow-cooker, place brisket, fat side up, including contents of package. Add potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, onion and pickling spice. Add broth (and water if needed) to cover brisket and vegetables. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or until brisket is tender. Add cabbage and cook on High for 1 hour.
Place cabbage on side of large serving platter. Transfer brisket to cutting board; cover and let rest for a few minutes. Thinly slice against the grain; add to platter. Using slotted spoon, remove potatoes and carrots, place around brisket. Pour small amount of cooking liquid over brisket.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 37 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 40 grams
- CALORIES: 467
- FIBRE: 6 grams
- SODIUM: 2180 mg