In Denmark, these open-face sandwiches are wildly popular and eaten everywhere. While SmØr may mean butter, the base of the sandwiches often use other ingredients as well. While the Danes eat these hearty sandwiches with a knife and fork, they would also be delicious served in bite-size squares or rounds.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) snipped Ontario Chives or finely chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) drained capers, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 thin slices dark rye bread (from the deli section)
- 4 to 6 Ontario Radishes, sliced paper thin
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Smoked Trout
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario Pea Sprouts
In small bowl, stir together ricotta, chives, capers and pepper until combined. Spread mixture over each slice of bread. Arrange radish slices over ricotta, overlapping slightly. Break trout into large pieces and arrange over radishes. Top with pea sprouts.
- PROTEIN: 23 grams
- FAT: 7 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 23 grams
- CALORIES: 251
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 805 mg