Flavoursome trout burgers topped with a quick cucumber pickle and green goddess mayonnaise are definitely company-worthy.
Standing Time: 30 minutes, Grilling Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Half small Ontario Onion, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 1 Ontario Green Onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Sour Cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each chopped fresh Ontario Parsley, Chives and Tarragon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Garlic
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) Ontario Trout, skinned and cubed
- 1 Ontario Egg, lightly beaten
- Half Ontario Greenhouse or Field Sweet Red Pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grainy mustard
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fish seasoning (Old Bay)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 onion buns
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) torn Ontario Red Leaf Lettuce
Pickle: In medium glass bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and salt; stir to dissolve sugar. Add cucumbers and onions; stir to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and toss vegetables with dill.
Herb Mayonnaise: In small bowl, stir together, onion, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, tarragon, vinegar and garlic.
Burger: In food processor, combine trout, egg, red pepper, breadcrumbs, parsley, mustard, fish seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pulse to combine. Mixture should be chunky. Shape into 6 burgers.
Place burgers on greased grill over medium heat. Grill, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside and a thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each burger reads 158°F (70°C).
Toast buns on grill. Top each bun bottom with lettuce, mayonnaise mixture, burger, cucumber pickle and bun top.
- PROTEIN: 33 grams
- FAT: 26 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 36 grams
- CALORIES: 506
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 870 mg