Cilantro, jalapeño pepper, caramelized corn and tortilla chips give a new flavour to the classic salad. Substitute chipotle hot pepper sauce for jalapeño to add a smoky flavour. Topped with chili-rubbed steak, it is a complete meal. Serve steak and corn warm or prepare ahead and serve cold.
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each light sour cream and fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic
- 4 Ontario Green Onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 small Ontario Jalapeño Pepper, seeded
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 8 cups (2 L) torn Ontario Romaine Lettuce (about 1 head)
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper,
- 3 cobs Ontario Sweet Corn
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- Tortilla chips (about 24)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and granulated sugar
- 1 lb (500 g) 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick Ontario Top Sirloin Steak
In blender, combine coriander, sour cream, lime juice, Parmesan, garlic, onions, salt, and jalapeño; process until finely chopped. With motor running, slowly add oil and blend until smooth. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and sugar; rub on both sides of steak. Lightly brush corn with oil. Lightly oil grill and heat to medium-high. Place corn on grill; close lid and cook, turning often, until slightly caramelized or blackened, 15 to 20 minutes. When corn has cooked, 8 to 10 minutes, add steak to grill. Cook, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or until desired doneness. Remove steak and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Let corn cool enough to handle. With sharp knife, cut kernels from cobs.
In large bowl, toss lettuce, red pepper, corn and enough dressing to coat well. Divide salad among 4 dinner plates. Slice steak into thin strips; arrange on salad. Drizzle some dressing over steak. Serve with chips.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 35 grams
- Fat: 23 grams
- Carbohydrate: 27 grams
- Calories: 454
- Sodium: 555 mg